Smoke in Keag Store prompts evacuation, firefighter response

Mon, 10/18/2021 - 7:30am

    SOUTH THOMASTON — Light smoke could be seen through the windows of the second floor apartment above the Keag Store, in South Thomaston, Sunday evening, Sunday, Oct. 17, 2021. That smoke eventually made its way down to the store and eating establishment below, prompting an initial response from Keag Store employees, and a quick turnout by area firefighters.

    Just prior to 7:25 p.m., someone noticed the upper level smoke and ran run up to pound on the door. No one answered the door and firefighters would later determine that no one was home. Employees telephoned 911, and then fully cooperated with firefighters throughout the incident, according to South Thomaston Fire Chief Bryan Calderwood.

    The owner of the Keag Store is praising her evening crew for their response after smoke filled the 4 Elm Street building, 

    “They did everything right,” said the owner. 

    At the scene, firefighters from South Thomaston, Thomaston, Rockland, and Owls Head, traced the smoke to a purse that was left on a stove that someone had forgotten to turn off. 

    Meanwhile, Warren and St. George firefighters stayed at the South Thomaston Fire Station to provide station coverage in case other emergencies arose. A tanker out of Union was called initially, but turned back while still en route. South Thomaston Ambulance also responded as a routine measure.

    An hour later, after the fire was out and the building had been ventilated, all responders returned to their respective departments, reopening the intersection of Spruce Head Road and Elm Street, both of which incorporate Route 73. 

    “The fire response went as planned from our preplanning of this location over the years,” said Calderwood.


    Reach Sarah Thompson at