CAMDEN — The agenda has been set for the Wednesday, Oct. 21 SAD 28 school board meeting for Camden-Rockport Elementary and Middle Schools.
The meeting will be held at 7 p.m. inside the middle school’s cafeteria.
The meeting will be livestreamed on YouTube, and the public can participate with Zoom or in-person. Questions can be asked via the Zoom chatbox.
1. Call to Order
2. Adjustments to the Agenda
3. Public comment on items not on the agenda
a. Let’s Go! Smarter Lunchroom Program
b. Trailblazers for Maine Online Curriculum Development
• Christina Young
• Liz Drury
c. Apple Teacher Designation
• Cara Wincklhofer
5. Nominations (Note: Executive Sessions Possible for Nominations - 1 MRSA § 405(6)A)
a. Stipend Nominations
Position Nominee Points Bonus Amount
CRES Leadership Team Shelby Chadwick 2 0% $155.76
CRMS Soccer Coach Martin Rogers 11 0% $856.68
CRMS Cross Country Assist. Coach Lacy Oakes 9 0% $700.92
CRMS Yearbook Aly Gabriele 13 0% $1,012.44
a. Approval of the September 16 Regular Board Meeting Minutes
7. Approval of the Megunticook Bus Driver/Custodian/Food Services Contract (Executive Session Possible –1 MRSA §405 6 (D))
8. Discussion of Staffing
9. Proposal for Early Release Every Wednesday
10. MET Updates
a. Low Bid
b. MET Naming Discussion
11. Approval to authorize the Superintendent to use sole procurement procedures due to the emergency situation on any projects that federal funding would typically require to go out to bid.
12. School Board Chair’s Report – Patrick McCafferty
13. Superintendent’s Report – Maria Libby
14. Administrative Reports
a. Deb McIntyre, Assistant Superintendent
b. Jaime Stone, CRMS Principal
i. Class Size Report
ii. Fall Extracurricular Activities
c. Chris Walker-Spencer
i. Class Size Report
d. Valerie Mattes, Director of Student Special Services
15. Standing Committee Reports
a. Joint Curriculum – Met October 5, minutes attached.
i. Possible Textbook Approvals:
• Ghost Boys, by Jewell Parker Rhodes, 2018 – Course: 6th grade Language Arts – Teacher requesting: Jessie Odgren – Cost: $7.49/book
iii. Possible Curriculum Approvals:
• Visual Performing Arts
b. Finance – Met September 16, minutes attached. Meets prior to School Board
Meeting on October 21, 6:30 p.m.
• Finance Update – Finance Committee Chair
c. Joint Policy – Met October 19. Next meeting December 14, 3:30 p.m.
16. School Advisory Committee Reports
a. DEI Task Force – Met September 30, minutes attached. Next meeting October 28, 7 p.m.
17. Future Agenda Items
EARLY RELEASE PROPOSAL
By Maria Libby, Superintendent
After talking with the school principals, who have had their ears to the ground this year listening to teachers whom are experiencing an unprecedented and very challenging instructional model, I am proposing we begin implementing an Early Release Day every Wednesday.
This would give teachers much needed professional time to meet the demands the pandemic and our instructional model has placed upon them. Teaching remote and in-person learners simultaneously requires relearning how to teach effectively and redesigning most lessons, assignments, and strategies. Our teachers have risen to this challenge well, but simply need more time to learn, prepare, and plan. For CRES teachers, who are not doing synchronous remote and in person instruction, the increased technology demands needed to prepare for a hybrid and remote teaching model are likewise time consuming. Having one extended afternoon per week of additional time will make a significant difference in their ability to sustain their work this year. In both schools, this window will also provide time for teachers to connect with students who need extra attention, as both before and after school times have been swallowed up by duties due to extended arrival and dismissal procedures.
I propose that school is released at the times below beginning effective November 18, 2020. This date is due to the fact that the CSD board meets November 4 (and November 11 is a holiday) and we will also need approval from the Five Town CSD board on November 4 in order to coordinate transportation.
CRMS: 12:15 p.m.
CRES: 1 p.m.