UPDATED: Basement fire sends firefighters to Rockland’s Bog Road

Wed, 11/15/2023 - 9:30pm

    ROCKLAND — A Rockland resident was hospitalized Wednesday evening, Nov. 15, after a fire ignited in the basement of his home. 

    Initially reported to Knox Regional Communications Center via Waldo Communications Center as a structure fire, Rockland Fire Department was called at 5:17 p.m., to 161 Bog Road, along with firefighters from the mutual aid towns of Camden, Rockport, South Thomaston, and a Thomaston unit for a total of 22 personnel. Central Maine Power also responded.

    Prior to their arrival, the basement fire was reported to be extinguished. However, one person had been burned. 

    Rockland Fire Chief Chris Whytock arrived on scene to find a two story building with smoke showing from both floors and the four residents were in the process of evacuating the building.

    Because the house is located down a hill and back in the woods, a long L-shaped driveway in a switchback-like fashion could only fit a few trucks. With apparatus already at the house, and with no place for the ambulance to turn around, the decision was made to bring the injured person to a police cruiser that had parked in the driveway. The officer drove the person up to the road where a Rockland ambulance was waiting to receive the patient and transport the patient to Penobscot Bay Medical Center. The current condition of the patient is unknown, according to Whytock, in a 9 p.m. follow-up.

    Meanwhile, the house remained full of smoke until firefighters wearing self-contained breathing apparatus were able to open windows while they checked for possible fire extensions.

    The other people have been placed in a local hotel as they are not able to return to the building.

    As policy requires, the Fire Marshal’s Office was notified and responded to the scene due to a report of injury involving fire or potential fire-causing materials. Investigation determined that the fire started when an accelerant was used to improperly start a wood stove, according to Whytock.


    Reach Sarah Thompson at news@penbaypilot.com