Rockport Garden Club elects new officers, gears up for growing season, invites new members
In 1934, 18 people formed the Rockport Garden Club. Initial projects included collecting 20,000 gypsy moth eggs, brush clearing at Piper Block, landscaping at the elementary school and planting at the old town hall, which is now the Opera House. Members collected bags, oil, food, toys and clothing and delivered sunshine baskets to 39 shut-ins.
Today the club roster has reached approximately 125 members, plus a men’s auxiliary of 24. And although collecting moth eggs in the 1930s was important at the time, the club’s program has changed somewhat.
Members now plant and maintain areas within Rockport Village, including Harbor Park, Mary Lea Park, Memorial Park, the Arch (Sharing the effort with the Camden Garden Club), the Opera House, Post offices window boxes and the bridge flower boxes.
Holiday wreaths and garland are provided for public buildings. Funds are also donated for special town beautification projects.
Through their dues, and two fundraisers a year (plant sale in June, and ever popular Holly Berry Fair in December) the club sponsors yearly scholarships for those pursuing degrees related to Garden Club philosophy.
The club provides nine monthly programs beginning in April that reflect a wide range of horticultural interest which are open free to the public. Meetings are held every first Thursday of the month from April to December.
This month, the club announces their newly elected officers for 2018: Doris Smart, president; Lea Anne Duton, vice president; Susan Cloud, recording secretary; Rhoda Silva, corresponding secretary; and Kris Mikkelsen, treasurer.
To learn more about the Rockport Garden Club, efforts to keep Rockport beautiful and have fun doing it, call Terry at 354-6558