‘no gas present in the building’

Classes resume at Oceanside High following evacuation over propane smell

Thu, 10/10/2019 - 1:00pm

    ROCKLAND — Classes were briefly interrupted Thursday morning, Oct. 10, at Oceanside High School in Rockland when the campus was evacuated after staff members detected an odor of propane in the hallways near the cafeteria. 

    “The Rockland Fire Department responded and quickly determined that there was no gas present in the building,” said Superintendent John C. McDonald in a Facebook post. “Apparently during maintenance of kitchen equipment some of the odorant used in propane gas was released.” 

    Classes resumed following the clearance of the building.