Midcoast Athletics

Hampden Academy snaps Windjammers’ ice hockey win streak

Thu, 12/27/2018 - 9:45am

BREWER — The Camden Hills varsity ice hockey team hit the road Wednesday, Dec. 26 to challenge Hampden Academy at the Penobscot Ice Arena in Brewer.

The Windjammers, who entered the Wednesday contest riding a four-game winning streak, lost to the hosts 4-1. 

With the loss, the Windjammers dropped to 4-2 on the season and remains in the second place in the Class B North standings with 7.1605 points. 

Hampden Academy scored twice in each the second and third periods, while the Windjammers only found the back of the net once in the third period. 

Scoring in the second period for Hampden Academy were Alex Briggs (Cooper Leland assist) and Leland (unassisted).

Scoring in the third period for Hampden Academy were Briggs (Logan Christian assist) and Peyton Chahley (empty net). 

Scoring in the third period for Camden Hills was Charlie Griebel (Nolan Delehey assist). 

Jackson Bernier worked the goalie net for the Windjammers and record 31 saves, while Evan Thomas guarded the Hampden net and record 22 saves. 

Camden Hills head coach John Magri shared after the game he held concerns about playing a road game the day after Christmas with a stomach flu plaguing the team, though he noted that a good hockey team fights through the adversity, which is exactly what the Windjammers did their best to do. 

The Windjammers, however, were not pensive, according to Magri, and did not put bodies on the puck in any of the zones. 

“That’s not how we play and we paid the price for not executing on our game,” Magri said. 

Camden Hills also found themselves scratching their heads over a pair of referree decisions. 

In the second period, Bryce Tyler of Camden Hills obtained an injury when hit from behind and boarded, though the officials allowed the action to continue on without a whistle to halt play to allow Tyler to be attended to. Leland, who had scored his 100th career point off an assist earlier in the period, was able to score as a result of the decision to put the hosts up 2-0.  

“[The decision] was confusing and distracting,” Magri recalled of the incident. 

In the third period, the officials dealt Camden Hills a penalty and had to start the final period down a player since some Windjammers stepped off the bench on the ice between periods before the players were given permission to do so. 

“It was a strange call to make in a tight game,” Magri said of the penalty. 

Magri noted the Windjammers look forward to hosting Hampden in Rockport next month. In the meantime, Camden Hills hits the ice road once more on Saturday, Dec. 29 to challenge Messalonskee at 4:30 p.m.

Reach the sports department at: sports@penbaypilot.com