UPDATED: Peaceful end to Carrolls Lane incident that was growing into a standoff

Sun, 06/16/2024 - 11:15am

    In an update that was posted to the Rockland Police Dept. Facebook page, June 15, RPD announced that Samuel Ward, 23, of Rockland, was arrested following a standoff on Carrolls Lane, Friday afternoon, June 14.

    Area law enforcement agents were prompted to the area following reports of several rounds of ammunition had been fired in very quick succession. Those rounds exited through the roof of the home, and no one was injured.

    “At approximately 3 p.m., the male exited the home with multiple rifle magazines and appeared to be attempting to access a rifle case near the doorway of the home,” said the FB post. “Officers approached the male and took him into custody without incident or serious injury.”

    Ward was charged with several outstanding warrants, as well as new charges for Reckless Conduct with a Dangerous Weapon, Possession of a Firearm by a Prohibited Person and Discharge of a Firearms near a Dwelling or Building.

    Officers executed a search warrant on the home, recovering several firearms and suspected narcotics. Additional charges are expected. As of this post, Ward remains at the Knox County Jail on $25,000 bail.

    ROCKLAND — What was beginning to shape into a standoff in Rockland, Friday afternoon, ended peacefully after approximately 90 - 120 minutes.

    Police in Rockland responded to a report of multiple shots being fired in the area of Carrolls Lane in the early afternoon, prompting multiple Rockland officers to the scene, with extra assistance from the Knox County Sheriff’s Office and the Marine Patrol.

    According to Police Chief Tim Carroll, the incident began after an argument among three people inside 10 Carrolls Lane turned heated to the point where one of the occupants reach for a weapon and began discharging shots. No one was injured, and the other two people quickly left the residence.

    Having established that the shots-complaint was real, officers evacuated nearby homes and set up a perimeter. They attempted multiple times to contact the suspect, but could not get through. 

    Carrolls Lane and Clarendon Street were eventually closed to traffic at 2:50 p.m. An ambulance was requested to stage in the area.

    At approximately 3:04 p.m., the suspect exited the house and surrendered to police, but complained of leg pain unrelated to the incident, though no visible injury could be noted. While in custody, EMS transported him to Pen Bay Medical Center for the pain, and for an over-all evaluation.

    Search Warrants have been acquired, and police will be seeking answers to such questions as how many weapons are in the house and what did the bullets hit.


    Reach Sarah Thompson at news@penbaypilot.com