UPDATE: Cause determined in fire that damaged house in Warren

Thu, 01/27/2022 - 1:15pm

    Jan. 27, 2022 – An investigator with the Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the cause of fire to be an unattended fire pit too close to the house, according to Warren Fire Chief Greg Andrews.

    WARREN — While the cause of a structure fire at 3229 Camden Road in Warren is being investigated by the Fire Marshall’s Office, The Red Cross is assisting the displaced tenant.

    On Sunday, Jan. 23, 2022, the fire department and its mutual aid battled to keep fire from spreading toward the front of the one-story home after initially being seen in the rear. Warren and Union tanker trucks brought water from Grant’s Pond, at the corner of Camden and Packard Mill roads.

    Because of those efforts, most of the fire damage remained in a bedroom on the back corner of the house. 

    According to Warren Fire Chief Greg Andrews, the occupants lost pictures, children’s clothing, and shoes.

    Reach Sarah Thompson at news@penbaypilot.com

    WARREN — Kim Graffam and Leni Gronros, of Rockport, were driving down Route 90, Sunday afternoon, when they caught sight of flames. They passed by, but turned around and knocked on the door of a house at 3229 Camden Road to see if anyone was home.

    After no response, the duo rescued a cat before fire from the rear of the structure increased to a full-on blaze. 

    As deputies from the Knox County Sheriff’s Office and an officer from Rockport PD diverted Route 90 traffic around the scene, fire crews from Warren, Rockport, Union, and Waldoboro worked to stop the fire’s spread, which was reported to Knox Regional Communications Center at approximately 1:20 p.m., January 23, 2022.

    As personnel gathered, and hoses and water supplies replaced traffic along the now-closed stretch of road, Graffam and Gronros sat in their vehicle, keeping watch for the homeowner as the cat snuggled into the arms of Kylli Gronros.

    Camden Road reopened to at least one lane of traffic at approximately 3:20 p.m. The last remaining fire personnel left the scene just before 4 p.m.

    As of Monday morning, another cat who had gone missing was found, safe and sound.