ORONO — University of Maine Cooperative Extension will present the free seminar “Swine 101: Raising Pastured Pork” in 10 locations, from Presque Isle to Falmouth, in July and August. A smoked pork meal will be provided.
Colt W. Knight, UMaine Extension assistant professor and state livestock specialist, will talk about breed selection, reproductive information, nutrition, fencing, housing and meat yield.
The seminar first will be offered Friday, July 19, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the UMaine Extension Office in Waldo County, 992 Waterville Road, Waldo. Contact Richard Kersbergen, email@example.com.
In July, the seminar also will be held:
• 5-7 p.m. Monday, July 22, UMaine Extension Office in Somerset County, 7 County Drive, Skowhegan. Contact Kathy Hopkins, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 5:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 24, J. F. Witter Teaching and Research Center, 160 University Farm Road, Old Town. Elizabeth Hines, assistant professor of animal science and a swine specialist at Penn State University, also will be at the event. Contact Wendy Robertson, email@example.com.
In August, the seminar will be offered:
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Friday, Aug. 9, UMaine Extension Androscoggin and Sagadahoc Counties, 24 Main St., Lisbon Falls. Contact Tori Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday, Aug. 12, UMaine Extension Knox-Lincoln Counties, 377 Manktown Road, Waldoboro. Contact Mark Hutchinson, email@example.com.
• 5:30-7:30 p.m., Monday, Aug. 19, UMaine Extension Cumberland County, 75 Clearwater Drive, Falmouth. Carolyn Hurwitz, assistant state veterinarian, also will be at the event. Contact Jason Lilley, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Noon to 2 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 21, UMaine Extension Aroostook County, 57 Houlton Road, Presque Isle. Contact Linda Trickey, email@example.com.
The seminar also is slated to be held in Kennebec, Franklin and Hancock counties. For updates on dates and times, check extension.umaine.edu/livestock/home/swine-101/.