ROCKPORT — After 15 years of benign neglect, the Town of Rockport has turned attention to the Marge Jones Recreation Facility on Route 90, in Rockport. This spring, the Rockport Recreation Committee, consisting of volunteers, has initiated a campaign to make improvements at the field, building on previous efforts.
In 2021, the Committee began addressing repairs at the 25-year-old facility, but this year, members are taking the drive to a new level. They want to:
- Repair the current basketball and tennis courts
- Add pickleball lines to the existing tennis courts
- Move and replace the current playground to a universal location
- Build four new pickleball-only courts
- Add lights to fields and courts for continued nighttime use
- Pave the road, parking area and additional parking
- Plan and execute future park expansion
To date, baseball and softball fields have been improved, fences replaced, a new flag pole was erected, three new sports sheds built, and the irrigation system was upgraded.
“These improvements would not have been possible without local donations and commitments from taxpayers through the budget process,” the committee said.
Recreation Committee members include, President Mike Archer, Vice President Brian Fitzpatrick, Secretary Jen Roper-Pons, Barret Brown, Thomas Kennedy, Tammy Krul and Craig Wilson. Rockport Fire Chief Jason Peasley is the town’s liaison to the committee.
To learn more and donate to the fund online, visit: https://margejonesfund.com/
Or, write a check to: Town of Rockport
(Add Marge Jones in the Memo Line)
Please mail donations (or drop off in person) to:
Marge Jones Park Improvements Town of Rockport
101 Main Street Rockport, ME 04856