Rockport commercial greenhouse partially destroyed by fast-moving fire
ROCKPORT — Firefighters rushed to outer Main Street in Rockport Tuesday night just after 7:30 p.m. where a commercial greenhouse at Goose River Greenery had caught fire.
The fire was discovered by Heather Dean, daughter of the homeowner, who called Knox Regional Communications Center for help.
The source was a wood stove that had been lighted to keep seedlings warm. The homeowners ran hoses to the fire, but a gas can exploded and with a propane tank nearby they retreated to wait for firefighters.
Fire Chief Jason Peasley said the structure was fully in flames, and firefighters used approximately 1,200 gallons of water to quickly extinguish the fire.
The back quarter of the greenhouse was burned, and all the vegetables in it were likely destroyed, he said.
In addition to the Rockport Fire Department, mutual aid firefighters from Hope, Camden and Rockland assisted. Rockport Police Officer Tony Del Vecchio was first at the scene, and North East Mobile Health Services responded with an ambulance.
A gofundme account has been established to assist efforts to get repairs quickly made, vegetables replanted, and business back in order.
Reach Lynda Clancy at firstname.lastname@example.org; 207-706-6657