LINCOLNVILLE — A Slab City Road homeowner, who was charging his car’s battery just a few feet from his home, came back outside to smoke and flames Wednesday afternoon.
Lincolnville Fire Chief Ben Hazen said the car fire call came in around 2:28 p.m., and was reported as smoke coming from the engine compartment.
Hazen said he was the first firefighter on scene and drove up to see Waldo County Sheriff’s Deputy Sgt. Jim Greeley hooking his truck up to the late 1980s-model Buick sedan.
“The car was just 5-feet away from the house before Greeley pulled it out toward the road,” said Hazen. “He was off-duty and driving a Ford F250 and was able to hook onto it and pull it about 12-feet from the house.”
Hazen said wind likely fanned the fire in the engine compartment, but that luckily the breeze was blowing away from the house, not toward it.
“It didn’t catch the garage on fire only because of the wind direction,” said Hazen. Moving the car away was also a contributing factor, said Hazen.
According to town assessment records, the home at 699 Slab City Road is owned by Erika and Jack Kelly. Hazen declined to identify the vehicle’s owner.
Hazen said 10 Lincolnville firefighters responded to the call, with the fire being put out by Engine 5. He also said the car was a total loss. Firefighters cleared the scene at 3:10 p.m.
Editorial Director Holly S. Edwards can be reached at email@example.com or 706-6655.