Warren appliance fire spreads beyond reach

Sun, 09/08/2019 - 6:45am

WARREN — A homeowner in Warren was quick to throw water on a fire in an electrical appliance, after awaking to the smell of smoke, Sunday morning, Sept. 8, yet was unable to prevent unseen flames from traveling up the walls of the older-style home. 

Fire crews from Warren, Union, and Waldoboro spent upwards of three hours, following the 2:23 a.m. call,  searching for elusive flames within the nooks and crannies of 62 Maple Street. 

As the homeowner, Kristian Starkweather, recovered from a mild case of smoke inhalation – having refused medical treatment, according to Warren Fire Chief Greg Andrews – crews arrived on scene to find heavy smoke showing from the estimated 1920s-era structure and the estimated 1960s-era addition that lay adjacent. 

“Flames were rolling out the back windows,” said Andrews. 

Those back windows, leading to the first-floor kitchen area, in which, a portable electric heater caught fire. However, whiffs of gray smoke continued to randomly appear from within the attic’s eaves, far from the initial source, one–, two hours later. Those dark gray smoke whiffs, along with the subsequent charred wood and vinyl siding, indicated active fire and prompted a chase by firefighters. 

Starkweather also had a dog; both evacuated the structure safely.

All fire crews had cleared the scene by 6 a.m.

The house is a total loss, according to Andrews.

 

Details will be added to this article as they become available.

Reach Sarah Thompson at news@penbaypilot.com