Extinguished electrical fire prompts early morning mutual aid response

Tue, 02/18/2020 - 5:15pm

UNION — Smoke from an extinguished fire in a plug strip filled a residence in the early hours of Tuesday, Feb. 18, leaving its owner to question whether fire had spread beyond sight. 

At approximately 2 a.m., Union Fire-Rescue and firefighters from six other departments responded to Beote Road, in Union, for a possible structure fire, though only smoke was visible, and only from the interior. 

“We strive that no matter what, we treat the call as if the building is on fire,” said Union Asst. Chief Jesse Thompson.

As first firefighter on scene, Thompson arrived to find smoke in the building and the homeowner outside. 

According to Thompson, the homeowner immediately reported the plug strip incident, but was unsure if fire had spread.

Thompson asked for the Thermal Imaging Camera (TIC) to check for any possible fire extension to other parts of the house, and Central Maine Power arrived and cut power to the house.

After finding no extension throughout the house, all fire units cleared around 2:50 a.m.

Mutual aid units included Washington, Warren, Waldoboro Fire and EMS, Appleton, Hope and a tanker from Jefferson, as well with the Sheriff’s Office and Knox Regional Communications Center. All departments assisted in a prompt time, according to Thompson.

“With automatic mutual aid there was enough equipment and manpower to mitigate the incident if it had been an actual fire in the build,” he said.

Reach Sarah Thompson at news@penbaypilot.com