Camden Hills varsity boys soccer tops Lewiston in OT

Mon, 10/17/2022 - 1:30pm

NEWCASTLE — Despite what should have been a home game in Rockport turning into a neutral site game played at Lincoln Academy due to poor field conditions in Rockport, the Camden Hills varsity boys soccer earned a narrow overtime victory, 3-2, against Lewiston in thrilling come-from-behind fashion.

It was an even contest for most of the game but Lewiston got on the board first, 20 minutes into the contest, when Jacinto Mavinga finished a ball to the near post after some nifty footwork inside the penalty area.

The 'Jammers upped their efforts for the remainder of the half but had nothing to show for it on the scoreboard.

Hamze Nur made it 2-0 Blue Devils when he slotted a ball past a sprawling Brian Leonard at the 65 minute mark of the game.

Camden Hills pressed on looking to claw their way back into the game. With 2 minutes and 40 seconds to play, still down 2-0, the 'Jammers mounted their improbable comeback.

Freshman Jasper Hackett started the comeback when he shrugged off a hard challenge in the penalty area and calmly slotted a pass to an on-rushing Roan Aldridge-Peacock, who cooly slipped the ball into the back of the net from six yards out.

The goal provided just the spark the 'Jammers needed.

With the clock winding down a Camden Hills player was fouled at the 45 yard line and the Windjammers were given a free kick. Senior captain Max Welt sent a rocket at the net that hit the corner piece of the goal and bounced back into a sea of Windjammers hungry to score a goal. The ball found the foot of freshman Mac Pierce who redirected it into the net to tie the score at 2-2 to force overtime.

The 'Jammers possessed the ball well in overtime and played with a lot of team spirit. Three minutes into the first five minute overtime period, Welt got free on the wing and sent a dangerous cross into the area. Sophomore Colby Bennett bravely launched himself at the ball and struck a brilliant header into the back of the net to punctuate the 'Jammer comeback.

Camden Hills held the edge in shots 15-10 and corner kicks 8-4. Brian Leonard made four saves for Camden Hills while Payson Goyette stopped three shots for the Blue Devils.

Today was incredible. Lewiston is a great team but we never lost our nerve and fought until the end. We played the way we wanted to play for much of the game and showed the patience in our attack that we need to finish in big games. It was a great team win with many of our younger team members really stepping up in a big way.

Looking forward to another difficult game when Brewer comes to town Tuesday with more valuable heal points at stake.