Details, including possible motive, emerge in Waldo double homicide 

Tue, 10/13/2020 - 6:15pm

    BELFAST — Additional details into the Oct. 5 shooting deaths of Tina and Richard Bowden, both 64, have been revealed in an affidavit by Maine State Police. 

    Glenn Brown, 66, of Benson, was charged in relation to the shooting deaths of his sister and brother-in-law Oct. 5, after allegedly confessing to Belfast Police. 

    According to an affidavit submitted to Waldo County Unified Court by Maine State Police Detective Scott Duff, Duff was told to respond to the Belfast Police Department around 5:30 p.m. Oct. 5, after Brown allegedly told BPD officers that he had shot two people. 

    Belfast Police Officer Lewis Dyer IV reportedly told Duff that Brown had arrived in a full-size pickup truck before entering the lobby area, where Dyer briefly spoke with him. According to the affidavit, Brown stated to Officer Dyer that he was there to turn himself in and that he believed he had just “shot somebody.”

    After being handcuffed and placed in an interview room, Brown reportedly told a BPD officer that he had shot “two exotic birds,” according to the report. 

    Belfast Police Sergeant Detective Matthew Cook Mirandized Brown a short time later, with Brown reportedly willing to continue speaking with Cook.

    When Cook attempted to clarify the statements Brown made to Office Dyer about shooting somebody, and what he had said to the other officer, but according to the affidavit, Brown did not provide specific information and ultimately said he might want to talk to an attorney. 

    While Brown remained in the interview room he was searched by Officer Dyer, who reportedly found several items, including “several nine mm rounds of ammunition,” according to the affidavit. 

    After becoming concerned that there may be one or more injured people in need of medical attention, Sgt. Cook reportedly asked Brown where he had been when he shot the birds. Brown stated that he was in the area of his sister Tina’s home in Waldo. 

    Belfast Police Officer Travis Spencer overheard Brown talk about “Tina” and said [Brown was likely referring to] Tina Bowden, of Bonne Terre Road in Waldo, where there had been previous calls for service. An officer was then dispatched to the home to conduct a welfare check. Once on scene, police called for ambulance services. 

    Tina Bowden, who was reportedly shot in the head, was determined to be deceased at the scene, while her husband, Richard Bowden, showed faint signs of life, according to the affidavit. After being transported to Waldo County General Hospital he was declared dead. 

    Following the discovery of Brown’s two alleged victims, he was read his Miranda Rights for a second time by MSP Det. Duff, at which point Brown reportedly stated he did not want to answer any questions. Brown was then placed under arrest for the murders of Tina and Richard Bowden. 

    Brown’s truck was towed to the MSP Crime Laboratory in Augusta to preserve any trace evidence that may be present. A subsequent search of the truck led to the discovery of a nine mm Taurus pistol. 

    A warrant was also secured for the withdrawal of a blood sample and an intoxilyzer test for Brown. 

    Around 9 p.m. the day of the shootings, MSP Detectives Duff and Jason Andrews met with Glenn Brown’s brother, Mitchell Brown, who reportedly advised detectives that he and his three siblings have been involved in an ongoing civil battle with their sister, Tina Bowden, according to the affidavit. 

    Mitchell Brown reportedly told detectives that the feud had been centered around the estate of their stepfather, and how Tina had “maneuvered in such a way that the rest of the family had been excluded from getting anything from the estate,” the affidavit stated. 

    Detectives were also reportedly told that in the months leading up to their stepfather’s death, and in the months following, Tina Bowden had made [her siblings’ lives] “extremely difficult.” Mitchell Brown said this included calling the police whenever anyone came onto her or her stepfather’s property. 

    The actions reportedly caused an “enormous amount of animosity within the family,” and although Mitchell Brown said his brother did not speak about the family’s issues often, he knew that Glenn was very angry with Tina,” the affidavit states. 

    Evidence collected from the Bowden’s home included additional unfired nine mm cartridges and empty nine mm casings. 

    Autopsies of Tina and Richard Bowden were conducted Oct. 6, revealing that both died from a single gunshot to the head. 

    Brown was ordered to be held without bail by Justice Robert Murray. 

    Brown is next scheduled to appear in court Oct. 15, at 8:30 a.m.

    Erica Thoms can be reached at