Snow-packed Waldoboro driveway hinders firefighters’ attempt to save home
WALDOBORO — Waldoboro firefighters rescued a woman from her burning home at 2844 Friendship Road (Route 220) in Waldoboro early this morning, Dec., 27. As a Waldoboro ambulance crew successfully treated her, firefighters attempted to save the home.
Knox County Regional Communications Center received the call for help at 4:16 a.m., and Waldoboro firefighters, along with mutual aid assistance from Friendship, Union and Warren fire departments, scrambled to the scene along roads slick from the 4-5 inches of heavy wet snow that fell through the night.
“The roads were horrible,” said Waldoboro Deputy Fire Chief Dale Smith.
Rescue crews were met by a 1,000-foot driveway that had yet to be cleared of snow. Unable to make the lengthy drive from the road to the house with the regular engines, it was up to Friendship’s four-wheel-drive fire truck to first make tracks to the fire.
The home was so far off of Route 220, “you couldn’t see the house or smoke from the road,” said Smith.
When firefighters did make it to the house, they rescued the sole occupant there, helping her out of the burning building.
“She was inside trying to put out the fire,” said Smith.
Waldoboro, with approximately 12 of its firefighters, responded with its engines, as did Warren and Union. The latter two towns, along with Friendship, assisted with bringing tankers full of water from the Friendship Fire Department back and forth to the house. The home is close to the Friendship town line.
The small house, with a garage and barn, was a total loss, said Smith. Firefighters have not yet determined the cause of the fire.
The Waldoboro Fire Department is an all-volunteer department served by 29 members. The department is a member of the Knox County Mutual Aid Association and the Lincoln County Fire Chief's Association.
• Waldo County EMA director seeking individual ice storm impacts for disaster declaration application
• Snow-packed Waldoboro driveway hinders firefighters' attempt to save home
• Red Cross provides comfort, cots to those in need
• UPDATED: CMP crews restore power to more than 100,000 customers as ice storm recovery continues
• Snow in the forecast: Iced-up Midcoast to get the most
• Christmas Eve fire destroys garage at Lincolnville home
• Central Maine Power issues power restoration update, 7 p.m., Christmas Eve
• Storm damage lingers with extensive power outages; Waldo and Knox county shelters, warming centers open
• UPDATE: Belfast, Lincolnville called to help battle overnight house fire in Northport
• UPDATE - Fire heavily damages Union home; family says cat knocked over a candle
• Waldo County EMA, Red Cross shelter open at Troy Howard Middle School
• UPDATED - Storm closings and cancellations; Ice storm warning extended to 7 p.m.
• UPDATED: Lincolnville bearing brunt of power outage, trees falling onto wires, into roads
• It's icy out there, be careful
• UPDATED: Ice storm warning - Freezing rain on snow, make way for a big mess
Reach Editorial Director Lynda Clancy at firstname.lastname@example.org; 207-706-6657.