2018 Snow Bowl Cardboard Box Derby - March 11!
Event has passed
CAMDEN, MAINE (Feb. 24, 2018) — Get out your hot glue gun, your duct tape and as many cardboard boxes as you can find - it's time for the annual Camden Snow Bowl Cardboard Box Derby! This is the 6th year of our derby, and it is wicked fun for everybody as the ski season winds down.
Pre-register your team now to avoid the lines on race day. The 6th annual Cardboard Box Derby will be held on Sunday, March 11. Registration/Inspection is from 9 to 10:30 a.m.; Races start at 11 a.m.
To participate, kids and adults build "vehicles" out of cardboard, register to race, and then gather at the start line on the mountain and wait for the timer to say "GO!" The challenge is to get your cardboard box — be it designed to look like a rocket, the Titanic, a shark, a penguin, a lobster boat or just a plain box — and your crew down the course with the fastest time. Dream it up and build it!
There are awards for the Fastest Box (1st, 2nd and 3rd), Most Creative Box, Best Costumes and Most in a Box.
This event is open to all — you don't have to ski or snowboard to participate. The cost is $25 to register a box vehicle, payable on race day only. ALL PARTICIPANTS UNDER 18 MUST HAVE A SIGNED WAIVER FROM A PARENT. If your minor is traveling to the race with another family, please download and sign a waiver for them to bring.
IMPORTANT: ALL TEAM MEMBERS MUST BE TOGETHER AT THE REGISTRATION TABLE IN ORDER TO REGISTER YOUR TEAM!
Here's the skinny:
• Vehicles may be constructed with only cardboard, paint, tape, glue, rope or twine, and plastic wire-ties.
• The sliding surface must be either uncoated cardboard or cardboard covered with tape.
• No other substance may be on the sliding surface.
• No wood, plastic or metal may be used for anything but decorations (which are encouraged!).
• Plastic wire ties are allowed. Decorations must not pose a hazard to participants or spectators.
• Pre-existing metal staples in cardboard must be covered with tape on both sides.
• All boxes must be removed from the premises! Teams will be fined $100 for any abandoned boxes.
• Vehicles will be inspected before your run. Decisions of the judges will be final.
• Participants must be able to push or pull their vehicle to the top of the track.
• Helmets are required (either ski or bicycle). A limited number of ski helmets are available to rent at the Snow Bowl for $5 each.
Please arrive early to pay and to allow enough time to get organized for the event. Bring your cameras, goggles and a sense of humor!
Highlights from 2017:
• A chilly day for the Cardboard Box Derby and one epic slow-mo wipeout (Courtesy PenBayPilot.com)