Inspiring Curiosity in a New Generation.......
Herring Gut Learning Center is a non-profit marine education center overlooking a working harbor in the small fishing village of Port Clyde, Maine.
We use the abundant coastal resources surrounding our campus to present aquaculture and marine science programs that:
• engage public school students in grades 6-12 who are academically at risk, using a hands-on, entrepreneurial, business-based model to keep them in school
• train teachers in engaging, hands-on instruction that increases student interest and comprehension in science, math, history and the arts
• connect academic concepts with local ecosystems and fisheries in customized, hands-on classes for groups of public school students
• offer a first work experience during the summer months for local teens ages 13-15
• teach conservation and sustainable practices to a new generation of ocean stewards through community outreach programs