CUSHING — A Cushing man suffered traumatic injuries Friday evening after fireworks exploded in his hands.
Friday, Aug. 16, at approximately 7:30 p.m., the unidentified man was lighting fireworks while holding them. One of the projectiles exploded, causing very severe hand injuries.
He was rushed to Pen Bay Medical Center before being transferred to Maine Medical Center, in Portland.
According to Sgt. Joel Davis, of the State Fire Marshal’s Office, fireworks are legal in Maine, though the people using them should place them on the ground when lighting them.
The Cushing man was at a private home when the incident occurred. One person witnessed the incident, and, after Knox County dispatchers and Cushing Ambulance were set into motion, the Fire Marshal’s Office was notified due to the fireworks connection.
Reach Sarah Thompson at email@example.com