AUGUSTA — Sen. Chip Curry, D-Belfast, is pleased to announce the details of Maine’s three-year transportation infrastructure work plan, and what it means Waldo County. The plan is released annually with an outline of the Maine Department of Transportation’s strategy for road, bridge and other transportation upgrades and maintenance projects.
“I’m so glad to see such a robust investment from the Maine Department of Transportation in Waldo County,” said Sen. Curry. “We all know that improving our roads and bridges is a matter of accessibility, safety and functionality. I encourage you to take some time to learn about the infrastructure projects happening in our area.”
According to the MDOT, the work plan covers approximately $3.17 billion worth of construction and maintenance, which includes 2,316 work items. The three-year plan estimates MDOT will invest in 115 miles of highway construction and rehabilitation; 1,057 miles of pavement preservation; 2,162 miles of light capital paving for roads and highways; 353 safety and spot improvements; and 235 bridge projects.
Bridge and Structural Maintenance
● In Frankfort, replacing joints on Upper Bridge (#2883), which carries Route 1A over North Branch Marsh River. Located 50 feet west of Mill Lane.
· In Searsport, highway rehabilitation beginning at Savage Road and extending northeast 1.94 miles on Route 1.
· In Winterport, highway rehabilitation and pavement beginning at Mountain View Drive and extending northeast 1.18 miles on route 1A.
Large Culvert Improvements
● In Belmont and Searsmont, replacing culverts (#132466, #132444) on Howard Road and Lincolnville Road in Belmont. Also replacing culvert (#214744) on Route 173 in Searsmont.
● In Burnham, ditching and replacing culverts in various spots on Troy Road in Burnham. Beginning at the intersection of Route 100 and Troy Road and extending east 6.1 miles to the Burnham-Troy town line.
● In Frankfort and Searsport, ditching on Mount Ephraim Road and North Searsport Road. Beginning at Route 1 and extending north 11.46 miles to Loggin Road.
● In Knox, replacing culvert (#153908) on Webb Road. Located 50 feet east of the Old County Road. Replacing culvert (#131798) on Webb Road. Located 0.37 of a mile east of Route 137.
● In Knox, Thorndike, Troy and Unity, ditching and replacing culverts in various spots on Route 220. Beginning at the Montville-Knox town line and extending north 16.43 miles to the Troy-Detroit town line.
● In Linconville, ditching and replacing culverts in various spots on Route 173 in Lincolnville. Beginning at the intersection of Route 1 and Route 173 and extending northwest 8.1 miles to the Lincolnville-Searsmont town line.
● In Morrill and Waldo, replacing culverts in various spots on Poors Mill Road. Beginning at Route 131 and extending southeast 1.9 miles to the Waldo-Belfast town line.
● In Searsmont, ditching on Route 173 from Searsmont to Liberty. Beginning at the intersection of Route 131 and Route 173 and extending northwest 6.35 miles to Main Street in Liberty.
● In Stockton Springs, large culvert replacement (#46702) located 0.03 of a mile north of the Searsport town line.
● In Swanville and Waldo, ditching on Route 131 in Waldo and Swanville. Beginning at Evans Corner and extending northeast 4.73 miles then southeast 2.37 miles to Swan Lake Avenue.
● In Thorndike and Unity, ditching on Route 139. Beginning at the intersection of East Thorndike Road and Route 139 in Thorndike and extending northwest 5.15 miles to Depot Street in Unity.
● In Troy, ditching and replacing culverts in various spots on Route 202 in Troy. Beginning at South Mitchell Road and extending east 1.25 miles to Rogers Road.
● In Winterport, ditching and replacing culverts in various spots on Cove Road and Back Winterport Road in Winterport. Beginning at the Hampden-Winterport town line and extending south 1.1 miles then east 1.29 miles to Route 1A.
Highway Safety and Spot Improvements
● In Brooks, highway safety improvements through a large culvert replacement (#51171) located 1.09 miles north of Morgan Pitch Road on Route 7.
● In Frankfort, highway safety improvements beginning 0.01 of a mile south of Mount Waldo Road and extending north 0.42 of a mile. Including large culvert (#94455) on Route 1A.
● In Swanville, highway safety improvements located 1.10 miles north of Town House Road.
Light Capital Paving
● In Belmont and Searsmont, paving beginning at Route 173 and extending northeast 2.69 miles to Augusta Road on Lincolnville Road.
● In Knox, Liberty and Montville, highway paving beginning at Route 105 and extending north 18.18 miles to Route 137 on Route 220.
● In Lincolnville and Searsmont, paving beginning at Route 52 and extending north 6.84 miles to Route 131.
● In Northport, highway paving beginning 0.23 of a mile north of Pound Hill Road and extending north 2.70 miles on Route 1.
Policy Planning and Research
● In Lincolnville, policy, planning research into alternatives to the current parking lot will be explored. Located 0.07 of a mile east of Route 1 for the Lincolnville Ferry Services.
● In Searsport, funding for further study, scoping, planning and design of port improvements to support offshore wind development through public-private partnerships to facilitate sustainable renewable energy and jobs for Maine