No Fire Marshal Office investigation

Lincolnville house saved as fire destroys garage

Posted:  Friday, May 18, 2018 - 9:45pm

LINCOLNVILLE — Update May 23 — The State Fire Marshal’s Office did not investigate the Slab City Road garage fire that occurred Friday, May 18, according to Sgt. Joel Davis during a phone conversation May 22.

At the time of the fire, Assistant Chief A.J. Weed did not believe any vehicles were inside the garage when the homeowner suddenly heard a loud noise, prompting him to look out a house window to the sight of flames.

Prior to the arrival of the first two firefighters in Engine 5, subsequent minor explosions were reported to the Knox County Communications Office.

Weed did not know exactly what was kept in the garage, aside from a snow blower.

“When stuff gets that hot – spray cans – anything will explode,” he said.


LINCOLNVILLE — The house with the only paved driveway on Slab City Road, according to its owner, remains structurally sound Friday night thanks to quick action by two firefighters responding to a garage fire. 

Just after 8 p.m., Friday, May 18, Lincolnville and Camden fire departments were called to a fully engulfed fire at 368 Slab City Road. Asst. Chief A.J. Weed and another responder set into motion without waiting help, though the garage was deemed a total loss by that time. Each of them grabbed hose and knocked out the flames, thereby saving most of the house.

“We had one hose on the house and one on the garage to try to cool it down,” Weed said. “Luckily the rest of the crew showed up very shortly after.”

Typically, hoses are managed by two sets of hands, according to Weed, since they are hard to handle and sap energy quickly.

Home owner Peter Thomas said he was sitting on his sofa eating pizza next to his dog.

“Just kaboom,” Thomas said. “I looked out and the garage was totally engulfed.”

He grabbed a phone and called 911 while his dog remained rooted to the couch in fear from the sound. Outside, his cat was seen fleeing across the yard, while neighbors came running to make sure he and his father, who no longer lives there, were safe.

After moving his vehicles out of the way, Thomas escaped the heat that was bouncing off a nearby trailer by retreating to the roadside. He was also escaping the sight of the fire.

Thomas said he grew up nearby, and the current property was once the family camp that his father has been building upon little by little since 1965.

In the end, “I’m just glad nobody got hurt,” Thomas said.

As a formality, the Fire Marshal’s Office has been notified, according to Weed.


This article will be updated as details become available.


Reach Sarah Thompson at