CAMDEN — Always a midsummer treat, Merryspring's Annual Kitchen Tour takes place on Wednesday, August 8, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Sponsored by Hammond Lumber Company/EBS, this year's Tour features eight homes in Camden and Rockport that offer something for every taste - classic, modern, formal, casual. Everything from a true chef's kitchen to an outdoor pizza pagoda.
Each kitchen has its own personality, the result of creative homeowners, skilled designers, local builders, suppliers, and craftspeople. At each stop, talented chefs and caterers will be offering samples of the wonderful, ever-expanding food choices available in our midcoast area.
Merryspring encourages you to bring your friends and houseguests to this popular fundraising event. Guests are advised to allow plenty of time to visit all the kitchens, but visits may go in any order and any pace. Properties are not handicapped-accessible; visitors tour at their own risk. Please carpool as much as possible.
All proceeds from the Kitchen Tour support Merryspring Nature Center, a not-for-profit park and education center located in Camden and Rockport. Merryspring has 66 acres of gardens and nature trails open free of charge to the public every day, and it sponsors a year-round program of talks, classes, and workshops.
You can save $10 by buying tickets before the Tour. Advance tickets at $30 each are available now through Tuesday, August 7, at Merryspring or any of the following sales outlets: Surroundings, Once a Tree, and Zoot Coffee in Camden; The Market Basket, State of Maine Cheese, Green Thumb, and Plants Unlimited in Rockport; Atlantic Baking Company in Rockland; The Good Table in Belfast; Lincolnville General Store in Lincolnville; and Salt Bay Art Supply in Damariscotta. Advance tickets may also be ordered by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 207-236-2239. Tickets will be held at Merryspring for pick-up the day of the Tour.
On the day of the Tour, tickets cost $40 and can be purchased at Merryspring or any of the kitchens on the Tour.
Bonus features this year include a special tasting of Fiore olive oils and vinegars at the Hammond/EBS kitchen design studio and a raffle with prizes that include dinner for two at Nina June, a basket of gourmet foods from Stonewall Kitchen, a trip for two on the Schooner Olad, and gift certificates from Surroundings, Once A Tree, Rayr, and the Owl and Turtle.
This Year's Participating Homeowners and Chefs are:
1. Kristina Landi & Elizabeth Mixer, 468 Rockland Street, Rockland. There's a lot to love in this 1830 house, expanded and renovated in 2000. Chefs: Morse's Sauerkraut, Washington (a.m.) and 47 West, Rockport (p.m.).
2. Sarah Sheldon & Greg Domareki, 28 Pascal Avenue, Rockport. This grand Victorian lady showcases the wealth of Rockport in the 19th through 21st centuries. Chefs: Laura Cabot Catering, Waldoboro (a.m.) and Maine Street Meats, Rockport (p.m.).
3. Lynda & Thad Chilton, 21 Lily Pond Drive, Camden. Designed to cook for an intimate supper or a crowd, the kitchen is spacious but convenient. Chefs: Café Miranda, Rockland (a.m.) and Laugh Loud, Smile Big, Rockport (p.m.).
4. Annie & Rick Norris, 13 Lily Pond Drive, Camden. This 2011 kitchen has every modern convenience, but looks like a traditional Maine farmhouse. Chefs: Hoxbill, Camden (a.m.) and Graffam Bros. Seafood, Rockport (p.m.).
5. Sharon & Jeffrey Jordan, 6 Ocean Way, Camden. You can prepare every meal easily in this 2017 renovation without taking your eyes from Camden's outer harbor. Chefs: 16 Bay View, Camden (a.m.) and State of Maine Cheese, Rockport (p.m.).
6. Maria Libby, 117 Start Road, Camden. This brand new home features a kitchen designed by the owner, who copied it from her favorite house. Chefs: 3 Little Birds, Warren (a.m.) and Susan Boivin, MSAD 28, Rockport (p.m.)
7. Dr. Eric Grossman, 26 Blueberry Lane, Camden. The open floor plan makes casual entertaining easy and efficient. Chefs: The Market Basket, Rockport (a.m.) and The Red Barn Baking Company, Lincolnville (p.m.)
8. Mary Bok & Gideon Bok, 300 Barnestown Road, Camden. A "pizza pagoda" built by the owner's son, who found much of the wood for its construction on this iconic farm. Chefs: Flatbread Company, Rockport (a.m.) and Gideon & Friends (p.m.)
For further information about the Kitchen Tour, call Merryspring at (207) 236-2239 or go to www.merryspring.org.