Afternoon fire in Camden home attributed to kitchen stove wiring

Posted:  Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 4:15pm
Share: 

UPDATE — On Dec. 10, Camden Fire Chief Chris Farley said the Nov. 18 fire in the kitchen of the home on Central Street was likely not electrical in nature; rather, its cause is now considered accidental.


CAMDEN — At 2:10 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 18, Camden Fire Department, and its mutual aid departments from Rockport, Lincolnville, Hope and Rockland, were called to a report of a kitchen fire at 250 Main Street, across the street from the Camden Public Library.

The first responders to arrive encountered smoke as they entered the first floor of the old home, which is a rambling wooden structure built at the end of the 1700s, and extends along the side of Central Street, first with the main house, then a barn, and then a garage.

Its homeowners are in the process of renovating the old property, according to Camden Fire Chief Chris Farley.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, which was confined to the space behind the kitchen stove. No hoses were taken into the residence; however, multiple utility vacuums and fans were employed to clear out the smoke.

The firefighters tackled the fire with extinguishers, and were able to clear the scene in approximately one hour. 

A North East Mobile Health Services ambulance crew and Camden Police Officer Allen Weaver also responded to the call.